The first tutorial in the series starts from Ian’s sketchbook work in the Philippines. Exploring the structure, movement and shape of banana trees and leaves, he illustrates and narrates the techniques needed to create a beautiful, flowing linear composition using graphite lines to describe the twisted and intertwined character of the plant.
[frame_right alt="Organic Line Drawing Art Tutorial" title="Organic Line Drawing Art Tutorial"]http://www.ianmurphyartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/line_drawing_img1.jpg[/frame_right]
What will you learn from this tutorial?
Design and layout
- Frequently asked by students, “How do you start a drawing of a natural form?” Ian guides you through the all-important initial decisions.
- The initial aims and objectives of a drawing are often overlooked by students. Ian focuses his discussion on the strategy of the first set of lines and why he uses a delicate approach.
Lines with character
- Expand your skill base by following Ian’s commentary and demonstration of how to vary the use of a graphite line.
- Form, structure, shape, and contour are all the qualities Ian focuses on in the first part of the drawing
- Texture, pattern, light and shade are the development features of the drawing these are the qualities that add the extra character to the image.
- Students often request advice from Ian regarding the best combinations of mixed media. Here he explains how to combine two kinds of drawing materials to generate different kinds of marks.
[frame_right alt="Line Drawing Art Tutorial" title="Line Drawing Art Tutorial"]http://www.ianmurphyartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/line_drawing_img2.jpg[/frame_right]
Who is this tutorial for?
- This is an excellent tutorial for students who have a fascination with the natural world and want to develop their drawing skills. There is a strong connection to understanding rhythmic movement, patterns and organic shape.
- Ian often works with design and textile students and demonstrates these techniques to help with surface texture and pattern drawings.
- All Art & Design students are expected to demonstrate a varied range of drawing techniques. Ian uses this tutorial to provide you with the skills needed to show progression in your sketchbook.
[frame_center alt="Line Drawing Art Tutorial" title="Line Drawing Art Tutorial"]http://www.ianmurphyartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/line_drawing_img3.jpg[/frame_center]
Line Drawing tutorial Outlined
[simple_box]Introduction – Line Drawing Tutorial
Part 1: Starting the drawing
Part 2: Building the structure
[simple_box]Part 3: Adding character
Part 4: Developing the character
[simple_box]Part 5: Developing tonal lines
Part 6: Creating surface texture
[simple_box]Part 7: The finishing touches
Part 8: An alternate ending