A small scale mixed media drawing inspired by Ian’s visit to the Zhejiang Province in S.E. China. The ancient 2000 years history of Wuzhen is clear to see in the precarious stone bridges, confined waterways and narrow stone paths.
This tutorial explores in depth all the creative processes from the design through to the finishing highlights. A special point of interest is the subtle use of surface texture to create the weathered and aged quality of these historical Chinese bridges.
[frame_right alt="Drawing In the Snow" title="Wuzhen Drawing Art Tutorial"]http://www.ianmurphyartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/wuzhen_drawing_img1.jpg[/frame_right]
What will you learn from this tutorial?
Design and layout
- Ian explains the important points regarding the transition of the sketchbook drawing onto the main composition.
- Ian illustrates how to build the subtle surface textures to recreate the historical aged quality of the stone bridge and the waterside buildings.
- Drawing over the top of the surface texture is a technique Ian uses to create the character of the location. Filmed up-close he describes the best way to achieve this.
Perspective and 3D space
- Ian relies on perspective to create the sense of distance and space between the foreground bridge and the buildings. He demonstrates the best way for you to use this linear process.
- The three dimensional quality of the buildings involves understanding light and shadow. Ian describes the main technique to achieve this.
Sky and Water
- Learn how to create an atmospheric sky, an important ingredient in the drawing.
- Drawing water, Ian shows you how to create the reflective qualities and the sense of movement across the lower half of the image.
- Intricate details across the surface texture are the finishing touches. Small but essential additions to complete the character of the location.
[frame_right alt="Wuzhen Drawing Art Tutorial" title="Wuzhen Drawing Art Tutorial"]http://www.ianmurphyartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/wuzhen_drawing_img2.jpg[/frame_right]
Who is this tutorial for?
- Art students and teachers wishing to understand in particular the qualities of reflection in water.
- These techniques will be suitable to all ages of student undertaking an art qualification in school or college.
- All the tutorials are designed to be used as an educational aid in schools, and are separated into concise lessons perfect for broadcasting to a class.
[frame_right alt="Wuzhen Drawing Art Tutorial" title="Wuzhen Drawing Art Tutorial"]http://www.ianmurphyartist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/wuzhen_drawing_img3-e1316510777434.jpg[/frame_right]
Wuzhen Drawing tutorial Outlined
Part 1: Planning the drawing
Part 2: Applying surface texture
[simple_box]Part 3: Applying ink to the surface texture
Part 4: Illuminating the drawing
[simple_box]Part 5: Applying the first highlights
Part 6: Creating detail in the foreground
[simple_box]Part 7: Creating detail in the middle ground
Part 8: Creating detail in the background
[simple_box]Part 9: Drawing the water; The foreground bridge
Part 10: Drawing the water; Creating distance into the background
[simple_box]Part 11: Building the atmosphere in the sky
Part 12: The finishing details; The foreground bridge
[simple_box]Part 13: The finishing details; the middle ground
Part 14: The finishing touches